We hope you enjoy this special Virtual Italian Cooking Class!
Winter Caprese and Mozzarella Salad
4 oz ball mozzarella cheese, drained well
2 – 1/4″ slices red onion
2 large hothouse or beefsteak tomatoes
½ c fresh basil, julienned
4 fresh basil leaves
½ c olive oil for roasting tomatoes
olive oil for finishing
balsamic vinegar for finishing
- Place whole tomatoes in baking dish, add olive oil, fresh basil, salt, and pepper, cover with parchment paper, then aluminum foil. Place in pre-heated 250-degree oven and bake for 1 hour, tomatoes are done when the skin starts to pull away, they should not be mushy. Let cool.
- Prepare red onions in the same manner as the tomatoes, bake uncovered until they are tender and golden brown. Let cool.
- To ensemble, tear drained mozzarella, place randomly on platter.
- Peel skin from pulp of the tomatoes, cut tomatoes into wedges, cutting around core, discard core. Place tomato wedges randomly on platter with mozzarella.
- Finish by seasoning with salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil.
makes 8-10 roulades
1 ½ lbs beef strip sirloin
10 oz tomato sauce
1 cup breadcrumbs, Italian dry
½ grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
12 basil leaves, julienned
olive oil to drizzle
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut beef in ½ inch slices lengthwise, lay on solid surface, cover with plastic, and pound with meat mallet or Saturday pan to flatten.
- Season flattened beef with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of ricotta cheese on each slice of beef, sprinkle with grated cheese, breadcrumbs, basil, and more salt and pepper.
- Roll beef starting on one end to the other
- Pour tomato sauce in a medium-size baking dish, place beef in dish on top of tomato sauce, drizzle with olive oil, cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil.
- Bake on 350-375 degree oven for 1 – 1 ½ hour or to the internal temperature of 160.
- Remove from baking pan, place on platter or plate, cover with sauce that beef was cooked in.
- Finish with grated parmesan cheese and more fresh basil.
Broccoli Rabe with Garlic, Chili Flake, and Lemon
1 large bunch of broccoli rabe
2 oz olive oil
¼ cup garlic, thinly sliced
1 pinch chili pepper (red pepper flake)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon, cut in 6 pieces to finish
- Cut off and discard tough end of stems, about 2 inches.
- On medium-high heat, place broccoli rabe in salted boiling water, cook until turns bright green and the stems are tender when squeezed.
- Remove from water, drain well.
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil, add garlic, stirring frequently, and add chili flake.
- Once garlic is toasted NOT burned, add broccoli rabe and additional olive oil, sautéing until completed coated with garlic and oil. Cook until broccoli is hot, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from pan, place on plate or platter, drizzle with more olive oil, squeeze lemon over top, garnish with lemon wedges.